Sunday, July 26, 2009

Harajuku, Meiji Shrine and adorable granddaughters

こんにちわ!

Ok, so in order. Friday, We had an orienteering expedition in Musashi-sakai station. We had to find Sukippudori (a street), ask if a bus went to ICU, find out the purpose of a couple of stores, etc. It was quite fun. After, we all had lunch together (the class, or most of it), and then Charlene and I took off. First we stopped at a department store, so I could find some awesome erasable pens she told me about. The ink dissappears with heat, caused by friction. so the eraser is just a rubber nub that never wears away. Coolest pens ever. Then, it was off on the train.

A short trip later we were in Harajuku. I got a really cute short sleeved sweatshirt and a lolita dress, as planned. I might post pictures later. I really like it, even though I will only ever be able to wear it at anime cons and Halloween.

Charlene took me to Kiddyland, a toy store that had everything under the sun, from Totoro and other Ghibli merchandise, to anime figures, to Lilo and Stitch merchandise (which the Japanese seen to love). There were like 5 levels of awesomeness. I didn't linger too long though, for fear of spending oodles of money...

We then headed over to the Meiji Shrine. It was beautiful. only a couple minutes walk away from the station, it was amazingly isolated. It was quiet and peaceful and well, spiritual. There were large gate entrances and actual priestesses doing various tasks. I bought a charm meant for academic success... I've always kind of wanted one. Charlene got a crepe (also extremely popular here) and I mooched a couple of bites, not wanting to ruin my appetite for dinner. We got back on the train and I was back home by about 6:30, 7:00.

Oh this is a good time to mention my Suica card. These things are magical. You load money on the card (which you purchase for 500 yen and can get it refunded when you return it) and instead of buying tickets every time you go somewhere you just swipe the card (still in your wallet) at the gate. No fuss, no muss. No longer will I have to worry about what the ticket cost should be. Glorious day!

So yesterday I had nothing planned. I was going to explore a bit on my bike maybe. So I got up at around 9, took a shower and got out my computer. I was not in the mood to post, so I didn't. I did chat with Erik for a while, and then Skyped, before Kuzuhara-san came home and I decided to sign off. I then took my bike to KFC to compare the food and eat lunch. It was quite different. The Japanese just can't seem to get chicken right to save their lives. Ah well.

I continued along, stopped at an electroncs store, wandered a bit, got some more rechargable batteries and continued along. I stopped last at a 711 for some chips and headed home. I chilled/studied until 7:30ish when I came down in search of dinner.

Kuzuhara-sans other daughter and granddaughter came over for either the night or more (I don't know yet). They had dinner with us and I had a lovely time trying to communicate with a 5-year-old girl. Chi-chan is absolutely adorable, and doesn't seem to mind when I don't understand her. Between yesterday and today we've spent time drawing, playing with legos, tossing stuffed animals back and forth, playing piano, talking, eating tomatoes and other various things. Kuzuhara-san's daughter (whose name as I'm sure none of you are surprised to hear I've forgotten T.T) is also delightful. She speaks English very well, and we spent a lot of time disucssing things like how I get to school, what my house it like (we google earth'd it), pictures of my family cats and stay here so far, and marching band.

After that chat, we all took the car (my first time in a car here) to J Mart, yes, J Mart, for some household supplies. I got myself an umbrella there so I wouldn't have to keep borrowing Kuzuhara-san's. We then had dinner at a local restaraunt, and I had my first pizza in Japan. It came with corn soup and a salad and had corn sprinkled on it. It was really good though. For dessert, Kuzuhara-san convinced me to bet this banana/chocolate cake stuff that was also delicious.

Now I'm home again, I've just completed my homework for tomorrow, and I'm posting this before I get too sleepy and lazy. Oh! Almost forgot. For lunch I made the apple cinnamon pancakes that I brought as a present. Thy didn't look all that pretty, but they tasted alright, and the Kuzuhara's seemed to like them. I wanted to take a picture, but my batteries had died, and I was hungry.

So yeah, to bed with me!!

じゃまた!

1 comment: