Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Learning Japanese, I think I'm learning Japanese, I really think so.

Yeah so excepting to lame title, I'ts really true! Today we started learning Kanji for the first time. It is even weirder and harder than I thought it would be. Each character makes different sounds in different contexts. So you have to have a very good understanding of the sentence in general if you want to start understanding what the Kanji says. Me and my partner for the worksheet we had felt like small children, carefully scrawling out the characters, sounding out every letter painstakingly, and suddenly reaching an understanding of what was being said, even if it is as simple as, 'kore wa nan desu ka?' (what is this). And to see if I can use this crazy Japanese keyboard I'm using in the library これわなんですか? That's really nifty. I've now used keyboards of three different countries! American, Germany and Japan. Japan is 日本。 How exciting!

So yeah, other than this stuff, nothing new today, except oh! I signed up to go to the Ghibli Museum next week! For those of you who don't know, Ghibli Studios were founded in part by the great Hayao Miyazaki, creator of such works as Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, and much more. I'm really looking forward to it!

Ok so, that's all I've got for now. さようなら! (Sayonara: I'm going to type it this way every time I'm on a comp with this cool keyboard)

PS Don't forget my new flickr page! The link is in the last post and the blog description!! Look up more!

3 comments:

  1. Very cool about the Ghibli Museum next week, even though I didn't know who Hayao Miyazaki was. But, I watched My Neighbor Totoro this summer, and found it very weird...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - I finally made it to the public library (free wifi). I love your detailed descriptions & photos - I almost feel like I'm there! Great journalism - can't wait for the next post - thinking about you all the time. Love you muchly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I entirely forgot about that song, but good title-pun nonetheless =P

    Sounds like you're really enjoying it and that museum sounds incredible, he really was an animation genius!

    And yes very good blog entries, I check quite a bit for zee updates! It's awkward to think when i'm going to bed you're up having lunch XD

    Much 運! Assuming my laptop is right...

    ReplyDelete