Thursday, July 9, 2009

Nothing much, really.

こんにちわ!

Nothing especially new today again. I was talking to a friend who is living in the dorms and he has gone to all sorts of places to eat and shop and stuff already! Note to self: get to know him better. Other note: make plans for this weekend!! I don't have any as of yet, but I am going to that Kabuki tonight! Oh and I also managed to grab a spot in the much anticipated Ghibli Museum trip! This is a big deal to me.

Class pace is starting to pick up. I need to know all the characters of katakana by tomorrow. And I got one vocab word wrong in my quiz today. (Jikan is time, nanjin is what time. I said jikan was what time. Ugh) Still, not too bad for having taken 4 quizzes already right? The homestay is helping. I definately have use for the words ima - now, ashita - tomorrow, jishou - dictionary, hachiji - 8:00, etc. I got to talk to my Dad and brother today for the first time since I left, very exciting. I wasn't going to post anything today because nothing really happened, but when they told me how much they liked the blog I decided to oblige.

I feel like I've reached the point or are almost at the point where I am simply living here. When I got home today, Kuzuhara-san wasn't around so I let myself in and got on the comp (at which point Dad realized I was trying to skype call him). I suppose I should go learn that katakana and review what we learning in class today.

Tomorrow to practice asking how much yen various items cost, we are going over to the CP lounge (the Culture Program lounge, kind of an SCJ hangout where you sign up for programs like kabuki, and can buy various okashi - snacks) and testing out out knowledge with the native Japanese speakers there. Cool I guess.

One thing is true, the teachers here are excellent. They speak English very well, know when to nitpick on pronunciation and when to let it go, and are very enthusiastic and patient. I have three teachers, and we have three periods of the day. Starting 8:40-9:50, break, 10:10-11:20, break and last of all 11:30-12:40. It's amazing how tired one can be after just half a day of learning! Then again it is quite intense, or at least it will be I guess...

Well, I managed to have more nonsense to say than I thought I did! Will update when I can concerning the kabuki show!! さようなら! (I managed to make hiragana work on my computer!!)

1 comment: